Outpatient Mental Health
The Behavioral Medicine Department, Stevens Community Medical Center's mental health program, has been serving mental health needs in the community since 1985. We are part of a complete medical care facility treating the physical, psychological, social and spiritual needs of our patients and families. Our strong team of therapists, physicians, counselors, and mental health practitioners are available to provide assistance for a wide range of mental health needs.
Behavioral Medicine services are provided at Stevens Community Medical Center, Wheaton, and Starbuck Clinic. When symptoms of mental illness are creating problems in your day-to-day functioning, we are available to assist you.
We offer the following services:
- Family Therapy
- Individual Therapy
- Couples or marital counseling
- Medical psychological consultation
- Diagnostic assessments
- Psychological testing
- Psychiatric assessment
- Medication management
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Community Support Programs (CSP)
- Outreach and other support services for adults with serious and persistent mental illness. This program is for residents of Stevens County.
- Children’s Therapeutic Support Services (CTSS)
- Services are provided to emotionally disturbed and severely emotionally disturbed youth (0-18 yrs.) in Stevens County.
- Psychiatric Services
- The Behavioral Medicine Department contracts with a psychiatrist to do psychiatric assessments and medication management. An initial one hour appointment is completed by the psychiatrist followed by twenty minute follow-up medication management sessions. Care is coordinated by your psychiatrist and primary care physician with your approval.
- Social Work
- Offers support for patients and the families, provides information and education concerning advance directives and financial needs and assists with crisis situations.
- Bereavement Support Group
You may be referred to Behavioral Medicine by
- Chemical Dependency Counselors
- Social Workers
What to Expect
When you call or visit Behavioral Medicine, you will be treated with courtesy, patience, and respect. We will ask some initial questions to identify your needs and then guide you to the best resources available. We may suggest doing an initial assessment and will provide you with the forms necessary to gather the appropriate information.
Privacy and confidentiality are of the highest concern. All registration is done directly at Behavioral Medicine, so there is no need to go to the front desk. Therapy records are kept separate from all other medical records.
Behavioral Medicine accepts payment from private insurance, Prime West, Minnesota Health Care programs, Medicare, Blue Cross / Blue Shield, Medica, Champus, UCare, Dakota Care, Preferred One, Behavioral Healthcare and others. We are able to bill most insurance companies directly if a release form is signed by the patient.
If you are without insurance, have a high deductible, or have special circumstances, you may qualify for a reduced rate based on family size and income.
Emotional Support Animals (ESA)
An emotional support animal is a companion animal that provides therapeutic benefit to an individual with mental or psychiatric disability. The animal is part of the treatment plan for a person who meets the definition of the disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Fair Housing Act, and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. The animal is determined to be neeed in order to address specific functional limitations and allow the person to live independently. It is up to a mental health provider to evaluate the need and if a ESA can be presribed. A therapeutic relationship has to be established for a few months before a therapist in the Behavioral Medicine department makes the determination of the appropriateness of having an ESA.
SCMC Behavioral Medicine is now offering Virtual Mental Health Care for their current clients. Below is a infographic with steps to help you get started from the comfort of your home. Please call us at 320-589-7625 if you have questions on how to connect to the virtual waiting room for your scheduled appointment.